ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE ALABAMA WRITERS' CONCLAVE
The Board of the Alabama Writers' Conclave met June 3, 2016, and unanimously voted to move the deadline for the selection of the Poet Laureate to June 1, 2017, for a 4-year term, rather than to fill the vacated position of Andrew Glaze for just a few months. In addition, the Board unanimously voted to retain any nominations that had been previously sent to Jessica Jones, Chair of the Nominating Committee. Subsequent nominations for the Poet Laureate position should be sent to Jessica Jones at email@example.com and will be received until June 1, 2017.
AWC President and Poet Laureate Emerita
What is the Alabama Poet Laureate Position?
The Alabama Poet Laureate recognizes and honors a citizen poet of exceptional talent and accomplishment. The Alabama Poet Laureate also encourages appreciation of poetry and literary life in Alabama. This position was created by the Alabama state legislature and made retroactive to June 10, 1930.
What is the Term of Service and Compensation?
The term of service is a four-year renewable term. The award is honorific, there is no compensation. The term begins January 1, 2018.
Who is eligible to be nominated Alabama Poet Laureate?
Any citizen of the state of Alabama may nominate a poet for the Poet Laureate position. A poet may not self-nominate him or herself, and no award will be given posthumously. Nominations for Alabama Poet Laureate will be accepted for Alabama poets who meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must currently be a resident of Alabama and have resided in Alabama for at least ten
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Must have at least one book of poetry published by a commercial or small press within
- Must be available to travel and give presentations.
- Must have produced work of the highest caliber and critical acclaim and have contributed substantial service to the development of the literary arts as demonstrated by
What is the selection process for Alabama Poet Laureate?
The President of Alabama Writers Conclave will appoint a Poet Laureate Nominations Committee who will review applications and present a candidate for election at the annual meeting on or about July 17, 2017. The Governor of the State of Alabama will then appoint the selected candidate in an official ceremony.
How will Alabama Poet Laureate nominations be evaluated?
- Excellence as evidenced by the submitted poetry sample.
- Exemplary professionalism as evidenced by an established history of substantial and significant publications in journals and books including at least one book of poems published by a commercial or small press (see eligibility requirements) and special honors, awards, fellowships, or other recognition.
- Advancement of poetry in Alabama communities as evidenced by an established history of activity in Alabama’s literary community through readings, publications, public presentations and/or teaching.
To be considered, nominations must include the following:
- Completed nomination form (attached), signed by nominator and nominated poet that include a binding statement that the poetry sample is the nominee’s and the materials submitted are true and complete.
- A cover letter from the nominator of no more than two pages providing the following information: name and a short biography of the nominated poet and a summary of significant awards and published works.
- The poet-nominee’s resume.
- A summary of no more than one page indicating why the nominator considers the work of the nominated poet to be of the highest quality.
- A work sample of no more than ten poems. Submissions may not exceed 15 continuously numbered 81/2” x 11” pages (one side), no less than 12 point type. Please provide copyright information where appropriate; all submissions become part of the public record. Both published and non-published poetry may be submitted. All submissions must be typewritten or computer generated. Materials hand-written will not be accepted.
- A recent photograph of the nominee.
Mail nominations to:
Jessica Jones, P.O. Box 92, Orange Beach, AL 36561